Monday, November 28, 2016

Animate it! Finished Animation


I have now finished my 10-15 second animation for the Animate it! brief. My animation is about 12 seconds in length. I learned from doing this brief that it's better to try your best even if you think it will go wrong or your animation will not be 'good enough.' I think I spent too much time when we were first given the brief worrying that I couldn't actually do it and being afraid of doing it badly that I just put it off. I eventually settled on an idea with the help of Mike and Matt and decided to just try my best with it. Once I actually began drawing the animation, I found it to be (mostly) quite enjoyable, but also took quite a lot of patience.
I am actually very pleased with the finished animation as I didn't think I would be able to do something like this, and after receiving such nice feedback from my classmates in the group critique we had today I have more faith in my ability. I really like the "boiling point" lines that Matt advised me to use in parts of my animation as I think they give it so much more life and style than if I had just left the scene stationary.
One of my main problems when making my animation was trying to get my face to look the same in each shot; because my features were so small I found this very difficult to get right. I used a lightbox throughout most of the animation process which helped some in trying t get my features right but I still think they are a little bit off. I would also have liked to have added some more squash and stretch to my animation; but at the same time because my animation was in quite a realistic style I don't think it was that necessary. I had to retake my animation about three times on the dragonframe in order to fix different things like timing of each shot that bothered me. After testing the part of my animation where I am opening my eyes, I decided to change this after Matt said it looked strange to have only one eye opening at a time. I redrew this sequence with both eyes slowly opening and I think it looks much better and suits the style more. I also tested my butterfly scenes and after feedback that the flying movements were too smooth and bird-like, I decided to take out every second frame of animation and re-test it. I found this looked alot more true to what a butterfly actually looks like when it is flying and is partly why I am afraid of them, so I really wanted to emphasise this. I would like to edit this version to make the lines I have drawn a little bit darker. I think filming myself making the movements I needed to animate really helped me to create actions that looked realistic and to keep the form of my arms etc consistent.
Below is my finished animation:







No comments:

Post a Comment