Friday, November 11, 2016

Animate It!


After receiving this brief I did a few brainstorms and thought of different ideas for each word. For the idea of fear I primarily thought a good idea would be to use my phobia of butterflies as I thought it would be quite different. I also have  a fear of the dark which was another idea. I thought it would be best to try and keep the idea for my animation quite simple and personal. I also considered the "Longing" idea, and thought of the idea of longing for food (something I can relate to strongly) or longing for another person. I thought 'Happiness' would also be nice to do and thought maybe I could do something to do with my dog, who is always happy. In the end though I decided to choose my butterfly idea because I thought it might be interesting as it isn't a phobia everyone will understand.
My animation will be 2D hand drawn; I would like to pursue using photoshop to animate in future projects but for now I think it would work best for me and I think the hand drawn style might compliment the animation.
I originally was going to try and animate a scene where I am outside sunbathing, I see a butterfly and run inside in fear. I was worried about doing this as I didn't think I have the skills yet to make it look good, and I was unsure of how to do it. I discussed this with Matt, who said instead of doing this idea, I could do something more abstract, such as a butterfly flapping around innocently, but with different sudden cuts to a close up of its face and its legs and other things which I dislike about them. I liked this idea but was concerned that it might be too little material to last for ten to fifteen seconds. I planned it out in a storyboard and talked to matt more about it though and we agreed it would be enough. I also created a (very bad) animatic that showed how I would like the timing of the animation to work. I am finding this brief really challenging so far because I am never happy with my art style and I'm not sure where to start with the actual animating. Another problem is the fact that in order to animate how a butterfly flies, I have to watch numerous videos of them flying, which I really hate. I think in order to tackle this problem I will draw my butterfly in quite a stylized way.

No comments:

Post a Comment